Friday, October 8, 2010

Kids again...

 Kids continue to make my life here such a joy. If they aren’t terrified of you they absolutely adore you. As always some seem to weasel their way into my hearts a little more than others. So I present you with this edition of "Kids".

Davis
Davis is the little boy whose parents own the little restaurant where I eat each morning. He is too young to speak English but crawls up beside me each morning and steals a bite of banana here and a piece of bread there. I gave him a pair of those shoes that have lights in the soles and flash with each step (Thanks Ben, Julie, Aiden and Isaac). He played with the shoes for almost an entire hour showing everyone who passed the restaurant, insisting they try them. Then I asked him to put them on so I could take a picture. I picked up his foot to put it in the shoe and you would have sworn he saw a ghost! Ha ha ha! He screamed bloody murder for a good 5 minutes. Apparently they’re fun to play with but a little too scary to put on a foot!



Davis taking tea and stealing some of my Mandazzi.
 Edmond
Edmond is a little bit more like a shadow than a kid really. He just shows up when you least expect him. His huge eyes suddenly appear in a window or a restaurant or in a dark alley. He just loves to be with Muzungus and takes every opportunity to spend time with them. Last weekend I came home late at night and found him waiting for me at the house. I told him I was going for supper so he hopped in the car and said "We go?". I couldn't resist and took him for a Muzungu supper of fish and chips. At supper I told him I was heading to Kabale the next morning, to which he asked if he could come.  I just replied “Maybe”. Thinking that was as good as a no. Well at 7 am when I got in the car to leave who was waiting to go with me? Edmond. Unfortunately I broke his heart when I told him there was no room.

Tugume
Tugume (Too-Goo-May) is the boy who Dr. Leanne McDonald helped last time she was here as he was lame (see her blog). He has since had a surgery or two and has recovered well. Still with a limp but more full of life than when I left him here that is for sure. He is so funny and doesn anything for a laugh. He also stays at the same house where I stay so I see him a lot. His English is poor due to his lack of schooling at a young age but he tries. Sometimes he will be off in the house and you will hear him shout some random English. Examples include: “This is my roof!”, “This is a what? This is a toilet!” and my favourite is “My cat is my life!” Too funny.




I came from the shower one morning to find Tugume with my phone and a coat hanger on his head!
And of course kids always present the opportunity to take some great photos. Here are a few of my favourite!


A girl from Ntungamo.

Fareeda

Hosea and friend.

Nicholas

Another little boy benefitting from the Mussell Family!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fareeda looks so much older, crazy how time passes! The kids all look great, loved this entry!

Jaimee said...

I stumbled across your site while perusing through different Uganda blogs. I enjoyed reading about your adventures and experiences in Uganda. I just returned from there after serving with engineering ministries international for 5 weeks. It is interesting to hear what different people see and learn from the culture. Uganda is a place that once visited does not easily leave you.