Monday, September 20, 2010

Not the welcome home I was wanting...


Well I was so excited to get here to Mbarara and so far it has been the worst part of the trip yet. When I arrived here last night at about 9 pm I got a hotel room and went to the kitchen to order some food. It was pretty late to be eating here but she found some food for me. Turns out I should have left it hidden. Ha ha ha. I didn’t sleep a wink all night as my stomach was talking well rather yelling at me for what I had fed it! I felt really nauseated and my stomach was churning and making all sorts of terrible noises. I spent half the night laying on the bathroom floor feeling like I needed to vomit but never actually getting any…what would you say “production”? I felt awful and at about 10am I decided it was time to try the old finger down the throat trick…still no production. Hey desperate times call for desperate measures right? I went back to bed for a couple hours and then decided that I felt better and could go down the market/trading centre where I used to hang out all the time on my previous trip. There were many people who I saw and who were so surprised to see me. There were a couple who had to do like a triple take! Ha ha ha. They were so shocked and really having to think “Am I seeing who I think I am seeing?” Surprising them all was so great that I was getting pretty excited and moving around a lot visiting all my old stops (many of which are actually gone). Finally I stopped at Laubin and Susan’s (the mother and father of Kentina) for a visit. She brought me a bench to sit on and we were chatting away outside their shop when all of a sudden….”Production” and I mean like real production! Now if any of you have seen me vomiting it’s not good. I so rarely get sick that I actually have a sort of phobia of it. I freeze in one spot, can’t move and pretty much start crying. So as you can imagine this attracted quite an audience…how embarrassing! I guess at least I was outside and I was at a shop where I knew the people really well....not up town or something. The other good thing was the second it was all out I felt like a million bucks and we all had a good laugh about it. Well except for maybe Susan who was left to clean it up. They were then trying to feed me all these local remedies but I wasn't willing to try.  So I have been in my hotel room for most of the day trying to sleep this off and am on my third tablespoon of rice in as many hours. The plus side is that I think I chose the nicest bathroom in Uganda to get sick in!


In other news my memory of the local language has not only impressed others but also myself. I remember way more than I thought but maybe am getting a little over confident. When asking a lady today about her rice I inadvertently asked about her penis! This was shortly after having vomited all over her shop. All in all a humbling experience!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! I love how the vomiting makes you cry like a little boy! I thought all that chicken chef would make you have 'guts of steel'! Anyways, I hope the rest of your trip goes better, we all miss you here. Audrey and Breanna say the clinic is VERY quiet without you. . . duh! All is well, except the weather (rainy, lots of grumpy farmers). Mason has a big smile waiting for you when you get back!
Kim, Riley and Mason :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kent, you are so funny! I hope you get feeling better and enjoy your time there. Miss you already.
Julie, Ben and gang!

Erik said...

Kent - I'm loving reading the blog again. It is so surreal you are there again! Sorry about the rough start - I'm glad your production seemed to fix you up...

Anonymous said...

Kent I can't imagine you being sick with people around. I have witnessed your very few times being sick and it certainly is quite the sight...LOL. So glad to hear that you are feeling better and that people are glad to see you. Crappy weather here so farmers are not in the fields yet. It sure feels like snow........ Take care.. Love you Love Mum

Pamela said...

Kent. . . I need to ask you a favor. I have a friend there, who I would like to help out. His name is John Twijukye. He coaches football in the fields near the Lakeview hotel. I would like to help him by buying him a boda boda. He has just lost his job and has no way of supporting his family (3 kids and a wife). I can send you the money via western union (he said they cost around 2.5 million UGX), and then if you could buy it and then give it to him, that would be super! My ph number is 403-846-8760 or I can try to call you if you send me your number. Let me know asap if you can help me. Sorry to hear about your problems thus far, but I'm sure things are going to get better.
Thanks! Pamela

Anonymous said...

Hey Kent, glad to 'hear' you are there safe and - I was going to say sound but one out of two ain't bad.
The Anniversary do is over and I finally had a chance to catch up on you and your travels. Love your ramblings, just don't forget to ramble home soon.
Lewis

Anonymous said...

O Kent, this gave me a good laugh... reminds me all too much of the time you upchucked cantelope all over your bedroom carpet in Saskatoon!
Also actually laughed out loud about confusing the rice and penis!
Chantel

Anonymous said...

ha ha kenty;) too bad the "Queen of Production" wasn't there to help you out. i bet you never thought you'ld be envious of my skills!
So much love to you my friend. Keep up the good work!
Love Jacinty

Steph said...

Kent I love that you are blogging your trip again - I enjoyed it so much last time. I got a good laugh on your expense from this entry. Too funny asking her about her penis :) Best of luck and I will be following your adventure.

Steph