Wednesday, April 9, 2008

There's always room for one more....

or 8 more in this case.

So today I went to Lyantonde to pay for Charles' school fees. They chased him away last week when his funds ran out. Thanks to an amazing friend of mine (Tanis Palmer) I was able to take the remaining school fees for this semester to him. He was super excited. My car is in the shop today so it was time to really test out public transport. The ride there was uneventful but the 52 km back was an experience.



We started with 15 people in a minivan...yep 15... a minivan. Ok it wasn't really that big of a deal...it was squished but I was breathing and happy. Not too far along we slow down and pick this women and her baby...ok two more people....getting a little more squished. Then we see this man in all yellow waving us down, he is standing with a large group of young boys (maybe 16 years old). Our driver gets out and talks and debates for a bit then what do I see? EIGHT BOYS complete with suitcases coming towards the van. So we slowly start to squish more...okay obviously squishing isn't going to enough....time to sit on laps. I am not talking half of a cheek I am talking full on sitting on laps. So some guy is sitting on my lap. Do we know each other? Certainly not. Do we even so much as exchange names or a hello? No sir. We sit there as if everything is just as normal as can be. Now if you have been keeping track we are now 23 people and one baby....ohhh yeah and some chickens (I never saw them but I certainly heard them). We must be at capacity right? I mean I have someone ON MY LAP! Nope why not stop for one more lady...with her baby!

Ok let's keep a few things in mind here:
1) Now 25 people in a minivan.
2) We have 50 km remaining.
3) Ugandans drive like they want to die.
4) There are potholes the size of swimming pools here which means my legs are likely bruised from the guy on my lap.
5) The driver continues to try and get more passengers...how does he do this? By driving with the sliding door open and hollering out at people obviously.

Anyway, this is just another tidbit to add to my African memories...I would be lying if I said I wasn't smirking the entire way home, pinching myself every so often to make sure I was really in my own life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenter kenter kenter! WOAH that was quite the ride and i thought the tracker was bad!!!! I'm not surprised about your legs, they were always skinny with not much fat padding lol. I love that no words were exchanged. How much was this bus ride and how did you manage to get off?

amthomas said...

Ok
I have a new favorite. I actually read this one out loud for everyone to hear.
Hows the job hunt? When do you get to come home? I need to see this "supposed tan" that you claim to have.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh my dear goat vet, just remember in Uganda "We are all friends here" means there is always room for one more! However it never is one, you might as well say there is always room for another dozen.....

Anonymous said...

this one's so funny!!! Cracked me up!! Seeing you in that position would have been priceless!!!!!
luv ya!! Alice

Dr. Kent said...

I just realised that I can comment here too! :) Alex: Luckily the bus ride was only about $2.75 and he knew where I wanted to get off so he stopped and everyone piled off my lap! ha ha ha. Amanda: I have a tan ok? Believe it!!!!

amthomas said...

leah said you have to show us some white bum to prove it. Not the whole thing (not that theres much there) but a piece would prove it.
Leah also said that you could wear the @#$less chaps.
You miss us lots dont you.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! That's quite a squishing!! I love the way you tell a story...I can totally picture it (and in my head, I smell it. Hopefully it wasn't too smelly)

Keep up the good work

WCVM Uganda 2007 said...

Kent, I am glad to hear you finally had a ride in a Ugandan "Taxi". That and the boda boda ride were probably my favourite memories of Uganda. The open side door caught me completely off-guard the first time. The amazing part is how that quickly becomes normal in your head and the reverse culture shock when you get home.