Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Day of Innocence

So something that I find really interesting here in Uganda is that people have basically three names. They have their surname (which they place at the front of their name), their "Christian Name" which is placed second and then their family name which is their father's Christian name or something more like a middle name (which I have never heard used). Example: Charles is Asiimwe Charles ______ (not sure of his father's name), Hilda is Omella Hilda Catherine. Confused? Yeah me too....everytime someone explains it to me I get a different answer. That being said the "Christian Name" is essentially any English word, not neccessarily a name. Some of my favourites include: Affection, Charity, Patience, Peace, Friday, Godfree (not so weird to my family) and Innocent. Now I had never heard of the name Innocent before until one particular day....I MET 4!!! Ha ha ha....it was almost surreal. I had to ask the first Innocent three times to repeat his name...partly because of the accent and partly just to make sure I had indeed heard him right. When I met the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th I was questioning to make sure that this was actually happening.

My favourite Innocent (hey with 4 there has to be one who you like better than the rest) is from a tribe called Bacheega (sp?). I think we bonded over this crazy ride in the back of our truck down one of the horrible Ugandan highways.

They are well known for their good work ethic and Innocent is no exception. He is the grounds-keeper at a site that will one day be FAOC's new location. He has cleared out an entire plantation, knocked down a house, planted a garden, and planted various other trees on the land all by himself in one month. We instantly had a connection and everytime I stop by the new site he is overjoyed to see me. Now a Ugandan man overjoyed sounds something like a small school-girl in Canada. As tough as they are they let out these very high pitched "Eeeeeeee's" and "Ahhhhhhh's" and give lots of physical contact at which Innocent is more skilled than your average Ugandan man. When I stopped to see him on Thursday I told him I would love to come spend a day with him and asked if that would be ok. He was very excited and welcomed me and I ased if he needed anything. He told me he would love a new hoe and a jerry can so that he could water his plants.
So yesterday morning I showed up with a fancy new hoe and a nice jerry can (all for the price of $4.00 of course). Innocent was not to be found to I just sat and waited in my truck...it wasn't long until I heard and "Eeeeeeeeehh my friend!" After some serious hugging and thanking for the new tools we got to work. We must have planted 50 trees before lunch, I of course had to keep sipping my water while he worked with only a mild sweat. We then broke for lunch which he cooked. This is the first time I have seen a Ugandan man do anything remotely domestic....more on this at a later date. So he cooked me matooke (shocking I know), some "Blood Plant" growing in the yard, and cut up some tomatoes and onions.







We sat under a really nice Mango tree and ate our lunch. I could tell he was really proud of the meal he had constructed so I mmmm'ed and ohhhhh'ed appropriately.

We then layed under the tree and talked, laughed and just rested for hours. His English is decent but somethings took a while to understand. He told me that although he is married he was a lonely man and he had prayed for a friend to come and keep him company while working. He believes (as do I) that I am that friend. He told me that when people ask him if God has performed any miracles in his life he would tell them of me. Amazing what a really small gesture means to someon and how something so small can be an answer to prayer. We finished off the day by going to get water (what a process) and watering his plants. It was a great day and I look forward to seeing him again (hopefully next Saturday). I have also planned to take him to his village where his mother lives the first weekend in April. I am really excited as is he.

2 comments:

Laur said...

Awww that is such a great story to hear....and i noticed he smiled for the picture. Good for you Kent, I'm positive that you are brightening peoples lives everyday that you are there!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet story. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Kent, it is going to be so hard for you to leave all these beautiful people!! It would break my heart! Do you almost gain this feeling of responsibility? I almost feel one through you! lol!
Wow! I envy these experiences you have.
muah
Alice