Saturday, March 29, 2008

Introducing Uganda's Newest Vets....

So this past week I have been running a training session for the local women and orphans. Two women from each parish were chosen and attended a 4 day seminar on basic veterinary care (why did it take me 8 years??). They have been trained in antibiotics, deworming, wound care, husbandry evaluation and how to charge for their services. We had three days of classroom work which was full of really good questions....it is hard to believe they had no training. Especially this one kid called Innocent (no not one of the 4 I met my first time around) he only finished Grade 5 but asked questions I might expect from a vet student.


Yesterday we finished up with a day of practical work. We travelled around to various farms and looked at problems where I knew the existed.

I was honestly so proud of them. They are really really smart and keen. They kept calling themselves doctors and would keep records of anything they told the farmers or any treatments they gave. Once I get a money transfer from Canada they will be equipped with their own veterinary kits which they are super excited about. On the last day Innocent told me that he was praying the training he would never end and that he can't wait to get a picture of me shaking his hand congratulating him. It was a really tiring week but it was a blast and so worth it.

So I introduce to you... (top) Dr. Katarina, Dr. Alice, Dr. Ibrahim, Dr. Innocent

(mid) Dr. Safina, Dr. Janet, Dr. Parimuri

(btm) Dr. Mauda, Dr. Leonia, Dr. Margaret, Dr. Anges, Dr. Namusisi

3 comments:

amthomas said...

It must be an amazing feeling to know that you are making such a difference in so many peoples lives. You better be proud of yourself because we all are.

Anonymous said...

I look in on your site at least weekly. It is great to see the work you are doing and I find your experiences so interesting. There must be quite a number of people reading your blog as many of us have shared your site info with friends. I look forward to reading about your adventure.
Eric Simpson

Kyle Gresham said...

Please pass on our encouragement to the new doctors as well! We are confident the training will serve them well. It's great you are able to pass on knowledge that will hopefully make a big difference in the lives of their families!

Blessings,
Kyle and Andrea