Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Let the waterworks begin...

So this morningwhile taking tea Mama Jane asked me when it was that I was going back to Canada. I looked at her calendar and pointed telling her "Today is the 13th and I will be leaving Mbarara on the 29th." She looked shocked and then immediately turned her face from me and covered it up. I was unsure what was going on and then her daughters told me that she was ceting because she doesn't want me to go. I then asked her please not to cry. She told me she knew it was bad to cry but that she couldn't help it. She then told me that last night there was this old man who had seen me on the street and I had gone and had a chat with him like I always do and then he had come into the tea room crying. He was telling her that he loved seeing me in town when he was on his bike as I would wave with such excitement to see him. It is hard to believe what an effect you can have on people. I always just think of my influence here in terms of the women that I work with giving goats, drugs or advice. But when you are in this situation there is no telling how big your sphere of influence really is. My days are numbered here in Mbarara (16 after today) and as I try and see all the people I want to see, buy all the crafts and souvenirs I want to buy I find it hard to believe that in all likelihood I will never return to Uganda (or not at least for a really long time). I guess I just need to live in the moment and not focus on the fact that "this may be the last time I do ______ or see this person". In all aspects of life I try to live in the moment but this will be a big challenge. As long as others don't cry I should be alright.....yeah right who am I kidding? It is only a matter of time before I bawl my eyes out everyday....I just hope there are no cameras around for that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenty!!
I can't believe your trip is almost over!! Wow!! What an experience and because you are whom you are, it was even more spectacular as you touch people in a deeper way. I almost feel I may cry for you! And am getting teary eyed writing! lol! Anyhow, I look forward to your return but feel for the people of Uganda who will miss you a lot, and likely never forget the Muzungo that came and touched their lives. All the best in these last days and talk to you soon.
XOXO Alice

Anonymous said...

Kent - something would be wrong if you don't shed a few tears. You have spent an intense 4 months with your friends in Uganda. We hope someone will follow in your footsteps to help continue your good work. We are so proud of the work you have done.