Saturday, May 3, 2008

Uganda Welcomes Dr. Lillian and Dr. Stella

However they may be better known as Dr. Leanne McDonald and Dr. Sarah Stewart. "Stella" and "Lillian" arrived here on Wednesday (they finished on Friday from WCVM and flew here Monday...crazy girls). They came with loads of lab supplies, books, and a big bag of candy for me...is it wrong that I have almost eaten $7.00 worth of 5 cent candies in 3 days? No? GOOD! We have been out in the field for 2 days and they quickly were given new names. A lot of English names are not used here so after telling them your name a couple times they end up changing it to something they know. So Leanne quickly became "Lillian" and Sarah is "Stella"...funny thing is when we introduced Sarah as Stella this one man said "Ohhhh Sarah, nice name!" ha ha ha! You can't win. They actually don't call me Kent either. If I introduce myself as Kent they will say "Pardon me?" then I say Kent again...still nothing. Then if I repeat once more they will sometimes say "Ohhhh Kenty!". Then I say yeah sure. So I have just resorted to trying Kent once and if they ask again I just say my name is Kenty. The funny thing about the word Kenty is that it is the word for a cow. Works out okay for me....they are one of my favourite animals afterall and I have pretty much dedicted my life to saving theirs. So to all you people who call me Kenty in Canada you will be happy to know that I am still Kenty here in Uganda.

Since "Stella" and "Lillian" have arrived we have been busy taking fecal and blood samples in the field.

We then take them back to the lab an analyse them. We haven't made any amazing discoveries yet but we are working on a database relating some of the values which be more useful in developing some treatment regimes. It has been really nice to have some more Muzungos around and I know that my one month with them will be really productive.

Of course it isn't all work. We've taken a little time to tour around town with them and of course snack on some of the amazing fresh fruits as well. Here is "Lillian" enjoying a fresh paypaya we were given by one of the women as a thanks for her dairy goat.

It also seems that "Stella's" extremely long hair has been a huge hit at "Tim Horton's" here in Uganda. I thought they liked to touch and brush my hair but my celebrity status has certainly declined since "Stella" arrived on the scene.

6 comments:

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

amthomas said...

Ok, now I believe you. I can see you are nice and brown.
When do you get to come home?
Good luck to the new girls, heres to hoping they have as much fun as you do.

Randean said...

Kent
Will you do a little 'stuart' for us when you get home?? cause his father left on chuesday.
The other day we were sitting in the office and all of a sudden Amanda says "Look what I can do" and starts waving her leg around like Stuart does. Erica and I almost peed we were laughing at her so hard.
Miss you
rrlr

Anonymous said...

let me assure you these posts are pretty fantastic study breaks. some great escapades. keep up the good work my friend.
graham

sandi said...

WOAH, KENT... you are like all OLD and stuff! Where did the time go?? It seems like only yesterday we were in our first year of university!
Thanks for your comment on my facebook a while ago... yes, I have 4 boys, and 2 girls on the way from Ethiopia. I think we might take a break after that. I guess I need to go back to residency some day!
Enjoying your blog!
Sandi Funk

Anonymous said...

Kenty!
I love it that you are still Kenty! Missing your dearly! By the sounds of your blog, your are having the most incredible adventure that anyone could have in a lifetime. Would be so wonderful to see you before I leave!
Love Jenn