Monday, May 19, 2008

We're Having a Party

and you're invited...AGAIN!

I get invited to a lot of parties here in Uganda. At first I thought I was really cool and that everyone really liked me. Then I realized that no one is cool enough to be invited to 6 parties in one week and due to the fact that my skin looks like baby powder they were just looking to show off to their friends. This weekend I was invited to another party but it was of some good friends of mine so I decided that I would go. The day was interesting and of course it was another adventure to add to my memory bank.

First of all I should clarify that I was never fully sure what the said party was for. You see the children were the ones who invited me and their English is okay but not 100%. Most of the parties I have been to are for weddings so I assumed that this was the same, although the man is already married. However that doesn't mean that he wasn't get a second (or third, or fourth...). I tried asking the kids to figure out just in fact I had been invited to.

"So your dad is getting a second wife?"
"Yep," Sylvia said "It's a party for dad and his wife."

Okay different, never been to a second marriage party before but what the heck. Then I talked to Elsom.

"So your dad is getting a second wife?"
"No, he can't get a second wife he is a Savedi (a Christian)."
"So what is the party for then?"
"It is a party for him!"
"Oh so it's his birthday party."
"Yeah his party."

Okay to I am going to a birthday party for an old man...odd as they don't even celebrate children's birthdays but I will be there with bells on. So Saturday afternoon we head off to the birthday party (although I still wasn't convinced it was a birthday party..I was thinking a relative's wedding). I took Justus (one of the children) with me from town so I would know how to get there. Justus asked me to start honking the horn like mad when we got close. So at his command I started to honk (because we were near)...now if you remember my post on "being near" in Uganda you'll quickly figure out that I honked for a really long time. To the point where I was feeling really foolish as everyone turned to look at the stupid Muzumgo who was mightily announcing his arrival! I was constantly saying "You told me we were near." To which Justus replied "We are!"

Finally we arrived at the party in time for some food. I found some man cooking the largest pot of miscellaneous meat I have ever seen.

I am not nor have I ever been a fan of the boiled meat here but I choked down what I could throwing the parts I didn't want for the dogs (you know stomach, tendons, etc.). It was then time for the birthday party. The speeches started around 2 p.m. and at 6 p.m. they were still continuing. Then they started calling out people's names who would go to the front and give a gift of a household item or money. I asked who all the people were and it turns out they were part of "Dad's Group" ahhhhh finally I have understood the party....it's a financial circle (pretty popular here). They meet once a month or so and each person throws a party and makes a list of household items they would like and then your friends bring them or bring money. I was starting to sweat thinking that this was the reason they were so insistant that I come to the party. All I had on me was 10,000 UGX (or about $6 CDN), they wanted me because I would be the big gun who would show everyone up...because I am so rich you know. Luckily I was never called and after another hour or so there was actually a party. Up to this point all my "party" experiences have been speeches and more speeches and I was beginning to think these people didn't know how to party. WRONG! They know. First the party throwers had a little traditional dance which was awesome and so energetic (I secretly wished they would just dance all night).

Then the dancing for the general public got underway. Of course seeing a Muzungo dance is always quite the site and I certainly proved that white men can't dance!

I actually preferred sitting and watching more as everytime I got up to dance they all froze and watched me. Then when I sat they would give me a pop and asked if I wanted to sleep (I hadn't planned on sleeping there but they were pretty adamat that I slept at their house). Dancing seemed to keep going and although I was tired I wanted to watch the sights. Oh yeah and I can't forget the man who kept offering me some sort of alcohol from his jerri-can which he drank with a straw. Not really into the whole alcohol in a dirty jerr-can thing , thanks though!

They also had a midnight lunch which I was pretty pumped about, I walked into the kitchen and found it had been transformed into a nursery room for all the babies (I also quickly walked out when I saw that we were eating various animal parts again).

Finally at 2 a.m. after trying to keep up with these people I called it quits. I was shown to my bed and bedroom which consisited of one giant mat on the floor with two giant men already sleeping in it. Um are you sure this is where I am supposed to sleep? I reluctantly crawled in with the two unknown men and tried to sleep. The hard thing was that the music was still blaring, I had no pillow and did I mention I was sleeping with two unknown men? I finally fell asleep at some point with the pounding music in the background. I woke at 6 a.m feeling somewhat rested, greeted my sleeping mates (who knew no English) and they offered me breakfast which I was more than ready for. I sat down, waited to be served and what was placed in front of me?

How about a little sheep's stomach to get your day going? Breakfast of Champions right? I claimed that everytime I eat sheep stomach for breakfast I get really sick (gagging and retching is sick right?). I couldn't leave without being given matooke, potatoes, fresh honey from the hive, and a little more pop for the road.

This party was certainly no Canadian party and although it was an experience I think I will stick to buns, pickles, and cheese for the midnight lunch and drinking drinks from bottles not jerri-cans. Luckily in the morning there was this boy who gave me that little taste of home that I needed.

1 comment:

amthomas said...

You should have showed some two steppin. Might be hard with the music though.
Keep the blogs comin. Its the highlight of my day.