Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The goods...

The power is on and here are my pictures. You really realise how poor your point and shoot camera can be when you are trying to shoot wildlife......these are certainly not National Geographic worthy but it gives you an idea of what I saw.

Here are the zebras which are the first things I saw. Their stripes are almost mesmerizing and you can see a few young in the background which are really cute. They have cattle in the park as well as part of national research. Here one lonely Ankole cow grazes with the zebras. A little different than Canada as they select based on the size of the horns...these certainly are not the biggest I have seen.

There are a ton of impala everywhere...constantly wandering across the road and they are much more docile and you have the chance to get some close-up shots.

Ladies and Gentlemen....PUMBA! I just wished I could have caught him doing the Hula, but I think he was a little camera shy! They get down on their knees to graze (and pray obviously). I am sure this crazy looking bushpig is a relative of Pumba's somewhere along the way....God was feeling pretty creative when he designed the bushpig....I love the white mowhawk!

Here are some pictures of the lake at Lake Mburo National Park. There are countless number of hippos but they are hard to get close to and it's not all that safe either. Hippos are actually the world's number two killer. They kill the most people in Africa each year than any other animal. In the pictures the dots in the water are the hippos. There is also the one picture of the hippo out of the water at midday which was quite a rare site (apparently).


And.....when with the hippos.....do as the hippos do!

The Vervet Monkeys were highly entertaining and I usually would sit and eat my lunch while watching them play with each other....I got some good video of them falling off the trees on my video camera as well.


Then it was off to dart the poor Water Buffalo.....


The injured.....


The onlookers....


Some valiant effort was put in but unfortunately the poor girl did not make it. You can see that her tail was partly chewed off 0r speared...

And I leave you with the "Classic Africa Shot" which really isn't as classic as I would have thought....we all took the opportunity to snap this shot though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kent!! I am so jealous of your life right now! What an amazing experience! Keep up with the blogging...I love it...have been reading everything. So glad you are enjoying it. Take care and watch out for the hippo's...had no idea that they are the number two killer!!! Keep it real.

Anonymous said...

Great work.