Monday, February 25, 2008

Warthogs and Zebras and Hippos, Oh MY!

Well I got to go out and experience the Africa we have all watched on TV as children and adults. This weekend I was fortunate enough to head out to Lake Mburo with the veterinary students (WCVM) who are here for their African Wildlife Experience. I was there for 2 days and saw so much. I was really lucky as I was with the group of veterinarians from the park who get special priveledges and can go anywhere they like (Safari goers must stay on the road).

The first day I Was there was pretty sweet...there were zebras just chilling out on the road where we were driving (sitting on top of the Land Rover obviously) and warthogs that would dart across the road with their tails straight up in the air. All I could think of was Pumba and kept my eye for Timone (no luck). The warthogs are actually really ugly and some of them are super habituated to people so you can get pretty close...at your own risk. This one actually came after a girl and she fell over as he hit her legs...she was fine but it was pretty scary. I also saw Hippos on my first day...there is something so amazing and mysterious about a hippo. All you ever really get to see is their heads sticking out of the water. Then you will hear this kind of growling type noise and hear them let out this huge breath and then go under again. We were actually lucky enough to see one out of the water too which is pretty rare. Then when we went back for supper there were a whole bunch of Vervet monkeys in the campsite. They were so funny...I loved watching them play fight, knocking each other out the trees and especially the mothers with those little ones absolutely clung to their chest. That night there were also bushpigs in the campsite. They are pretty wild looking and their colours make them look pretty crazy. It was funny because every little movement you made he was ready to get out of there.

Day two was really cool as we went on this 4 hour walk through the park. When we were walking we saw Water Buffalo (apparently more appropriately termed "African Buffalo" but I don't care. ha ha ha). They were all down at the watering pond and there were a bunch of calves as well. We had a park ranger with us as they are quite aggressive and sometimes with charge. So he was aremed and ready. We were all watching this big group of them at the water when all of a sudden there was this snort from behind some brush. This huge bull emerged and had his eye on us. We all quickly moved (as running in strictly prohibited) to the next brush and under a tree...I was looking around to plan my escape if need be but in there were only saplings around...not too helpful. He decided to go up into the bushed but then we heard this stamped coming from the water and there was this huge group of them bolting out of the water up in our direction....thankfully they stopped in their tracks when they saw us. My heart was certainly pumping pretty good though. Then as we went around the back side of the watering hole we saw a stuck Water Buffalo. From the binoculars we could see she was injured so we agreed to go eat and come back to help her.

We came back with a dart gun...darted her and drug her out of the hole. She was really skinny and obviously quite sick. We pulled her under a tree and did and exam discovering she had been speared by another horn or possibly eaten by hyenas. We cleaned her up and gave her some antibiotics and for the heck of it...preg checked her. She was pregnant! Ha ha ha! We then took her blindfold off....headed to the trucks and watched in anticipation...we waited for sometime while she tried to get up but she was too groggy....we left her and came back to find she had died. Quite sad but maybe better for her to die like that then to have her eaten while helpless in the mud? I don't know what I think.

Anyway, I came without the expectation to do anything like this so I am as happy as a pig mud (and obviously more happy than the buffalo in the mud). We have no power at our house (for 4 days now) and my camera is dead so when I get it going I will add pictures....there are many!!! It was really an awesome experience and I was really fortunate to do it....not to mention for free!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound like things are getting a little interesting there for you. Well I am still enjoying your stories. Looking forward to more and pictures whenever you get power. Ha! Ha!
Val - Lloydminster

Kristal Dawn said...

During this entire entry, these few things played over and over in my mind:

"Are you achin.? Yup yup yup. For some bacon? Yup Yup Yup. He's a big pig. Yup Yup. You can be a big pig too OI!"

and

"Water hole?! What's so great about the water hole?!" (said in best Nala voice.

and

"Somebody poisoned the WATER HOLE" (Said in best Woody voice)

Anonymous said...

i almost cried when i heard the poor thing died... I think I am getting sensitive in my old age.

Chantel

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff Kent you were so lucky to hook up with wcvm guys and cash in on the experience. no power ouch !! boy do we take things forgranted hey. Sandra Thorpe is going to show her kids your blog she thinks Isaac will be very interested.

Anonymous said...

that last comment was guess who mum again I'll get it right give me time I'm young yet ha ha love ya!! Mum