Saturday, February 2, 2008

I am here....or there to you I guess!

Last night I arrived in Uganda! It was well a shock and I really think I am still in shock here. There is just so much to take in. From the driving on the other sise, to people everywhere, to being one of few white, to sleeping under a mosquitoe net to jet leg it is just overwhelming. Right now what I am having trouble with is the fact that this is my life right now....for 4 months. I am sure once I settle in it will fly by but at this point 4 months seems like an eternity.

I woke up at 5 am local time and no one else in the house woke up until noon. 7 hours was a long time to lay around and do nothing which meant my mind went rampant on me. I had a mild freak out where I broke out into a cold sweat felt like I couldn't breath. Is that normal??? ha ha ha. I then went to a local mall which was pretty much like a mall in Canada or US so that was nice as it was nothing too crazy. I got a SIM card so it looks like I will have a cell phone while here....who would have though. Just off the top of my head I think my number is 0777192436 but I will have to double check and post it. Right now I am at the Makerere University in Kampala which is the capital city. The facilities are what I would compare to an old farm basement in Saskatchewan. We are supposed to have a meeting with the dean to talk about getting the students some hands on experience with me later this year so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for all your notes and emails I look forward to more. And mom, sorry for the 30 second call at 2:30 am your time...we will talk once I get my cell phone going.

5 comments:

Mum said...

Hey Kent Don't worry about the early morning call I was just sooooo happy to hear your voice and know that you arrived safely. I hope that you settle in and become more comfortable with your new surroundings very soon. I can't imagine the cultural shock and being an incredible minority. talk too you soon. I love you bud. Love Mum xxxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Laur said...

oh my gosh i am sooooo scared for you....but I know how you feel about 4 months feeling like an eternity and the whole cold sweat thing....I think i did that one day in Thailand too...once you settle in you will be fine. I am praying for you and so so incredibly proud to be your sister. Love you tons, Laur

Mum said...

Kent it was great to get your phone call, both your mom and I were relieved to hear that it was a "got here safely call". I think the "in shock" feeling is pretty normal with your total immersion and all of sudden realization of the next 4 mo. We all have faith in your abilities and in the guy looking after you! Our prayers are with you - look forward to the next update. Love Dad

Miss Anholt said...

I am glad you made it there safely. I can relate to the "culture shock" but soon it will just become normal. Enjoy every moment and really try to remember the firsts of things. It is fun to look back and remember your "first impressions."

Right now my mom and dad are here and we are up watching the Superbowl! HA!

Anonymous said...

Just now(11pm)finally figured out how to do this blog thing-- talk about new experiences!I'm in a total sweat and going into a coma----------loved reading about your experiences so far and looking forward to more!!! I'm like Lauren scared for you but know you'll be fine!Love& PRAYERS-- Gramma