Monday, February 4, 2008

Mashed Maize = Kalo

So I finally got a chance to experience some local foods and meet some of the local people. Because I have been hanging out with Muzungos (white people) I haven't had much of a chance to eat some traditional food. Well I got my chance today, unfortunately. Ha ha ha. I actually ordered something that I liked but tried some of my colleagues and it was not so nice. I ate sweet potatoes and smoked meat which was actually pretty good. The meat tasted a little like jerky which is just fine and the sweet potatoes were just fine. Then I tried something called Kalo. It is apparently mashed maize that is steamed. Well I say apparently because it looks and feels more like silly puddy. It was this huge blob of brown/grey material that had a rubbery texture, didn't quite jiggle like jello but you felt like it should. The taste was like pure flour. I really didn't care for it very much. I am hoping to find some more dishes I enjoy.

I also met some people today who I got a chance to chat to which was nice. I met one man who was our driver. His name was Robert and he was a 32 year old man with 3 children. He is hired by the university to drive faculty around. He was telling me a little about his family and his living conditions. He lives in what as far as I can tell is a shack (from his descriptions) no water or electricity and he pays 80,000 Ugandan Shillings a month which is about $50 Canadian Dollars. Which is apparently quite expensive for this type of accomadation. He was really nice and we exchanged mobile numbers (yes I have a phone now). The other man I met was here at the university and was a study in CIT (Computer Integrated Technology) a very friendly guy named Alex who lives on campus, has a laptop, and comes from quite a well off family I would think. He was very intrigued by pictures of my family and the snow in Canada. We also exchanged numbers and I hope to meet up with him again tomorrow.

So I do have a phone. I bought it for 20,000 UGS (Ugandan Shillings) or about $22 CAN. Pretty good huh? I have pretty much all capabilities (text messaging, voicemail, etc.) but it still seems really weird to have a cell phone in this country. Suprisingly everyone has one and if they don't they are trying to get a cheap one. The other weird thing is that everyone texts, even in the professional world. Today when I went to meet with the dean of Veterinary Medicine, his secretary texted him to tell him I was there (and on the other side of the wall).

Looks like I will going to Mbarara tomorrow or Wednesday. Good night!

5 comments:

Mum said...

Hey Kent it sure was nice to hear your voice this morning. You sounded more like yourself. I hope your trip out to Mbarara goes smoothly. Take care of yourself. Love you lots. Mum

WCVM Uganda 2007 said...

Kent, if food is an issue, just wait for Mbarara and head for the bakery on the main street. If you like samosa's you should be able to sustain yourself very well. They also have the most wonderful doughnuts. I think everything tastes wonderful after Matoke and Kalo so you should really enjoy samosa's as I did. That is my favourite memory of Mbarara. There is also the story of Kevin's towel. He didn't bring one because "Uganda is warm and I will dry quickly", but as you know, the showers are mostly cold and the humidity keeps you wet. So he suffered and froze for a week until we got to Mbarara. I asked if he would go shopping for a towel and he said: "God willing". 5 minutes later we were buying a towel from a shop called 'God Provides Towels and Linens'. Only in Uganda. Enjoy it sir.

WCVM Uganda 2007 said...

Kent, I just posted a picture in my Uganda 2 picture folder on Facebook. It is the only picture I have of Mbarara, but you will recognize it very quickly if you look for it. It will also help your food issues as the picture is taken from the balcony of a restaurant.

Ross

Anonymous said...

ahzfxKent I just read your blog. You are having a wonderful adventure it is wonderful to be able to read about it. I know that God is with you and will use you in some extraordinary way. Love the bits of humor god bless Joyce

Anonymous said...

hey Kent mum here just thought I would leave a couple of comments. I feel we are being very very decadent in our accomadations here in Hawaii when I see what you are living in. I guess the shower accomplishes 2 things cleaning you and the bathroom at the same time especially when using the toilet with no seat!!!!! Cooking looks very inventive??? It was nice to see a few homey things in your room and a few termites that make your bedroom your home lol. I'm not sure I could do this good on ya!!! I see that I am leaving this on the wrong comment sight but remember Kent this is your mother here. Hope this finds you healthy and happy lots of love mum xxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo