Monday, February 18, 2008

Keep Left...

Well I started driving yesterday(I've actually been driving for years but just not here in Uganda people....come on!)!
Now this may seem like not such a big deal to some of you.....but it is. First of all they drive on the left not the right, this means that the steering wheel is also on the left which really puts a whole new perspective on things, you kind of feel like you are about to fall over. Like that isn't hard enough, this truck is somewhat of a "3-on-the-tree" type deal except it is more like "6-on-the-tree" with very loose tree and poor grooves. You can't really ever tell what gear you are in and once you are in gear the stick shift falls out of gear as you are driving! Super fun times. And to top it off the clutch, the gas and the brake.....ALL in the same place (ha ha ha got you there...praise God or I would have died I am sure).
Now this would all be fine if you were driving with some professional driver or something but no, I have 3 people in the truck who have never even sat behind the wheel trying to give me instructions. Instructions not only on how to drive but where to go. Apparently if you have never driven before you don't realise that if you want to turn off the highway (I am using this term lightly as it was more of a farmer's field but we were still traveling at highway speeds) you must speak up before the turn you want to take is 5 metres in front on you. Three U-turns, getting stuck in a plantation and almost killing a goat later we made it to our stop! It actually ended up being a lot of fun and I only drove on the wrong side 3 times! ha ha ha. It happens when I turn a corner as it just feels more natural. So yesterday every turn we would take the whole truck would chant "Keep Left, keep left, keep left...." We all made it out alive and other than the overloaded Matooke trucks whizzing past us it was a surprisingly stress-free event.
Heading out in the field again tomorrow which guarantees to be a good time.









.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe that I did not know you were doing this. I feel...ashamed...

I kiddingly say to others that if I couldn't be me, I'd want to be you. Well, I'm not kidding any more. Let's made a switch. I know you'll have a great time, plus you get to hear those kids say "How are you? How are you?", which is one of top 4 most awesome things in the world. I await your next post with baited, hoof-free breath!

Dave

Anonymous said...

Kent I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your life right now! Its sooo amazing. My son Marshall (he's 2.5) likes to look at the pictures on here. He's always asking what' that man doing? He now asks to see the goat mans email. LOL!!

JL

Laur said...

everytime i try to leave a comment I forget my password and it takes me about half an hour to figure it all out again. Wow sounds like you are really having a great time now....so are Carol and Hilda your roomies, sounds like you are meeting tons of ppl, if it were me I would probably be huddled in the cold shower crying haha. Can't wait to keep on hearing stories, and seeing pics. you kind of look like dad lol....never heard that before hey, but I never ever saw it before...weird.....keep on truckin!

desiree&jayden said...

hey kent!
i look forward to reading all you updates...it has turned into an OCDish thing! i read them to jay and we talk about "the puppy doctor" all the time! everynight before bed we say a prayer to keep you safe and hope you r having lots of fun!
i am so proud to be one of many friends! If anyone could do this i ALWAYS knew you had it in you!
Keep up the awesome work and we look forward to seeing you in a few months!
love you, dez and jayden!
way to go

Randean said...

Leah, Amanda and Randean are sending you this message:

Leah: Don't catch any parasites, I like the shower. Do you cook yourself? You didn't make the hoof did you?

Randean: We miss you and are very concerned about you loosing weight over there.

Amanda: Can you believe she is at a loss for words??? Yes, her not saying anything!!!

bye

A & K's Trip said...

Ok so i am possibly as retarded as miss floppy arms, i just realized i could post a comment on your blogs.
Man am i envious of you, seems like the best time, all i do when i read your blogs is have one constant smile on my face, they are somewhat humorous which is a change from your un-vivacious personality. right?
anyway i was so stoked to hear what you were doing and how fun and funny it all sounds i considered coming to spend time with you there, i figured would it not be the best surprise to be in your town in Uganda and see me all the sudden walking into town with a rushsack over my shoulder.! but then i thought of the time money and life expectancy of myself, and figured i will delay till a later date.
peace out couz
from alistiar
over and out

Anonymous said...

Not to embarrass you on your blog, but just wanted to tell you, that your steering wheel is actually on the right side...just like here in New Zealand. It would actually be even crazier if it was left drive on the left side! So you can be thankful that it is not quite as complicated as it could be!!

Keep up the good work. Love you mate!

Kyle and Andrea