Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away...

Well I am still in Kampala and it has been raining all night and now continues to rain today. Those of you who have spent time with me in the rain know how much I love rain.

I have learned that time and Ugandans really don't mix well. Time is something they speak of but have no real understanding of (or not in a North American sense anyway). As you can see from my attempts to make it to Mbarara with my ride the day is just a general idea. Monday means nothing, Tuesday means nothing but I think we can pin it down to weeks. I will be going to Mbarara this week, will it be today? Likely but I won't get my hopes up. I have been staying with a German man who is a professor here at the University. Some mornings he comes into the kitchen and will say "We are leaving right now." So me in my shorts and t-shirt rip around the house trying to shave, shower and get dressed only to end up waiting for him for another half hour. The other morning I skipped the shower because I didn't want to be late. But really "Right now" means....well I actually don't really know what it means. Maybe just the fact that at some point we will be leaving. Yesterday I talked to the head of the NGO for which I will be working. He was at the airport repairing the donation box, not waiting for a load of books which I was sure he said (I am still learning the accent), and said he would be here to meet me at 3 pm. Well 3 pm turned into 4:30 pm which turned to 8 pm and finally at 9:15 pm I met up with him and went for supper (which is the time at which I have regularily been eating supper). It is a tough adjustment for our Canadian "Go-Go-Go" brains to just chill out and when it happens it happens. Hopefully I don't get too used to it....showing up 6 hours and 15 minutes late in Canada might not go over so well.

So today I am supposed to be going to Mbarara via public transport at 5 pm. Will I hold my breath? Certainly not (I know the risks...I am a doctor afterall). But I really do hope that I do in fact make it there today.

3 comments:

Randean said...

Hey Kent
I finally caught up with your blog. Sounds like you are slowly settling in. I enjoy living vicariously through you, maybe someday I will make it there.
Take care
miss you around the college
rrlr

Anonymous said...

Hi Kent,
I hope things are gettin a little better each day.
It certainly souns like an adventure and I`m sure there is tons more to come.Hang in there kiddo, I llok forward to ready your blogs and knowing that you are doin ok.
Lots of Love...Chris xo

Amanda M. said...

Hi Kent,

Had to laugh at your discovery about 'African time'. I found the same thing exactly. I learned quickly that the term 'just now' (as in: "I will come and help you just now" or, more appropriately, "the bus is coming just now") can mean 2 mintues, 2 hours, 2 days... Yup, Africans are definitely more relaxed about time and schedule than us Westerners. Takes some getting used to!

I'm so glad that you have been blessed with this opportunity to live and work in Uganda. There are so many things that you will learn about people, culture, life , yourself. It will be life-changing. May God give you His strengh to meet the challenges and blessings of each day!

Cheers,
Amanda