Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sad day.

Well yesterday was a sad day indeed....."Trevor" (my computer) died! It was all so exciting as we got internet at the house so I would be able to stay in better contact with ya'll (yes ya'll remember I lived in Arkansas for 6 months this year as well). The first night was going splendid with emails flying off left and right and then unexpectedly my computer restarted itself. It then continued to start itself over and over and over...you get the point. I turned off, said some prayers and went to sleep, hoping that the next morning I would wake up and it would be fine. Not the case. Took my computer to the best looking computer shop in town (which wouldn't pass buliding standard in Canada I am sure) and had the guy have a look. Ends up he needs to wipe my hard-drive....he asks me where my important files are I show them all to him and he is able to save them. EXCEPT stupid me forgot that I had ALL my Uganda pictures saved to the Desktop not to "My Pictures". So alas, all my photos are gone except for these few that I have uploaded to my blog. Good thing that I have been showing you all my favourites. The other great news is that the cost was 20,000 Shillings which he apologized for and explained how much work it was to which I said in my head "No worries man, thanks for fixing my entire hard drive for $12!" Ha ha ha!

On a much darker and more "Ugandan" experience. Yesterday after picking up my computer and feeling a little better about life I was heading towards my favourite boda station when there was quite a raucous (sp?). People we all looking in one direction and chanting and yelling, lots laughing and doing imitations of something. The traffic was backed up and I just didn't feel safe so I decided to detour and do a little more shopping. I returned in half an hour found my new favourite boda driver Peter and started on my trek home. When I passed the spot where all the people were there was a man who was tied up (hands and feet), in his underwear, tied to a post and kind of laying in the middle of the street. I tried asking Peter what it was all about but he didn't understand what I was asking. When I got home I was kind of disturbed and told Hilda about it. She told me it was likely a thief that they were beating. I asked about the legalities of it and she said although it was illegal and obviously a violation of human rights it happens. I felt sick, I felt like my eyes were burning, and felt like I needed to go back and do something. I didn't go back but I can't get that image out of my head. I can't believe that it wouldn't be stopped, there are always police around and in fact this was right down the street from the station. One thing is for sure...I certainly won't even breath stolen air if it isn't allowed. Although this has shaken me....I still feel completely safe here and praise God for the experiences that I continue to have. My eyes have been opened!

Thanks to all those who are emailing me and leaving comments, I love to hear from you even though I may not respond. There are more than I ever would have imagined (and thanks to Grandpa Weir people who I never imagined would read.....makes me a little nervous). Hope you keep reading and enjoying!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy here told me that my computer would take hundreds to fix, so i decided to not get it fixed- guess I should have sent it to Uganda with you! Maybe ill send it with the letters....

Chantel

Anonymous said...

Kent!!!
Saving goats, amazing children ... is there anything you can't do?!?
Again, I am amazed by what you are doing. Keep up with the blogs. They are enlightening.
Erin

Anonymous said...

Kent you should use a flash drive to save your pictures in case your computer crashes again. Iwas so sorry to hear that you lost them because i am very excited to see them when you get home. Please don,t put yourself at risk when the Ugandans are dealing with there own, you could get yourself into some major trouble. our life doesn't have many dull moments hey!! Very proud of your work bud. Love you forever Mum xxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Kent,

I'm happy that you're surviving.
Sorry for your computer...

Maybe, after Uganda, you're next adventure will be in Belgium to solve the problem of the "Blue Tongue" :-)

See you
Andy

Anonymous said...

Belanger is alling Kent...Belanger is calling Kent...Can you hear me ???

What the heck are you doing down there !!??? Last time I saw you you were talking about may be working and then travelling Europe !!!

I am soooooo happy for you and a tiny bit envious !!!! You look like you are having such a rich life experience, but remember that when you`ll be back in Canada, I`m not sure if you will still be the winner of the toilet seat debate !!!

Be careful, take care of yourself and have fun !!!

Regine

Anonymous said...

That really sucks about all your pics and computer! The lull in your postings was noted. Don't steal anything!! Interesting how societies make their own law. Can be tortuous for us to watch of course.
Hope all is well and take care,
Alice

Chris said...

Hi Kent,
Whitney and I are sitting here reading the most recent blogs and looking at the pictures, that big smile of yours is always contageous.
You seem to be learning alot and setteling in quite well now which is very nice to hear and see.How is it going with your goats?
Keep on being Kent...thats what makes these blogs so fun to read.
Keep them comin and stay safe.
Love from us all.....
P.S. Justin is goin over to the Comp. next year, Head Coach of the Barons and teaching Math and Phys.Ed. xoxoxoxoxo